Where is Haymarket? How do I get there?

The Occupy Norwich camp was located at Occupy Camp, Hay Hill, Norwich, Nr2 1QE  -  in the centre of Norwich near St Peter Mancroft Church and the Norfolk & Norwich Millenium Library. It was in place – come ice, snow, and a few people shouting “get a job” – from 15 October 2011 until 20 February 2012. It was one of the longest continuous occupations in the world. Occupy Norwich is moving forward with a series of new initiatives, but the plaza at Hay Hill remains a focal point for peaceful protest in Norwich.


View Larger Map

top BACK TO TOP
Are you related to Occupy Wall Street?

Yes, the Occupy Norwich group was inspired by the actions taking place in New York and all around the world. We stand in solidarity with the worldwide Occupy movement and support them in their various locations. The unofficial hub is Occupy Together. However, although these groups share many common goals, each one is unique and there is no single organisation that speaks for all occupations.

top BACK TO TOP
What are you protesting about?

The range of views covered by the group is vast but united by an opposition to the growing disparity of wealth. We are not necessarily ‘anti-bank’; ‘anti-capitalist’; ‘anti-system’, despite the media’s characterisation of the whole Occupy movement as such. Some people taking part in the movement hold these views – but not all. We are united in not having a single answer – we are here to think, discuss, listen, share, and ultimately press for action. And we are united in our determination that the status quo is no longer acceptable and does not represent true democracy. You can see more about us on the Home Page of this site.

top BACK TO TOP
What do you mean “We Are the 99%?”

We are the 99% of people who own less than half the wealth of the country – the rest is owned and controlled by just 1%. As such, we invite the 99% to speak out for a economic and political systems that work for all people, not just a few.

top BACK TO TOP
What is a General Assembly?

The General Assembly (GA) is a regular meeting and organizational structure used by Occupy Norwich to ensure that everyone gets a chance to speak their mind, while at the same time staying on an agenda. GAs are used to address the question of what our demands and solutions might be, and to deal with practical and organisational matters. General Assemblies are an example of pure, direct democracy. GAs have no leaders, only facilitators who guide things along according to the agenda of the meeting, which is arrived at by consensus.  There are a lot of rules, yet a lot of surprises, and it’s kind of hard to describe.  We encourage you to come down and check it out for yourself.

Time and location of the GAs are shown on the Regular Events page.

top BACK TO TOP 
Will I get arrested for being at Occupy Norwich?

Our occupation of Haymarket is legal, peaceful, and law-abiding. However, we are not legally responsible for any persons present at Occupy Norwich.
[This question related to the camp, and is retained simply for reference regarding the guidelines we adopted]

top BACK TO TOP
What happens about drugs and alcohol at Haymarket?

We do not allow drugs or alcohol at Occupy Norwich. The consumption of alcohol is illegal in Haymarket, and as a law-abiding occupation we respect that. There are police around the occupation at all times. If you bring illegal drugs, including pot, or open containers of alcohol, you risk arrest: so you not only get yourself in trouble, but it also reflects negatively on the entire group.
[This question related to the camp, and is retained simply for reference regarding the guidelines we adopted]

top BACK TO TOP
Is there room for me to pitch my tent?

The camp is always in flux.  Come down to Haymarket and we’ll be sure to fit you in.
[This question related to the camp, and is retained simply for reference regarding the guidelines we adopted]

top BACK TO TOP
My organization would like to support Occupy Norwich. Who should I talk to?

Come along to one of our GAs, or email us at contact@occupynorwich.org

top BACK TO TOP
I have a question that is not answered on this FAQ.  Who should I contact?

The links to all our social media are at the top of the page – we’d love to hear from you. Or you can email us at contact@occupynorwich.org

top BACK TO TOP
 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>